Ir al contenido principal

UNIT 3 TIME FOR A CHANGE! (HOUSES AND APARTMENTS; LIFESTYLE CHANGES AND WISHES)

Unit 3  

WORD POWER Houses and apartments
A.  These words are used to describe house and apartments. Which are positive (P)? Which are negative (N)?
Bright   P
Confortable P
Convenient P
Cramped  N
Dangerous  N
Dark  N
Dingy N
Expensive   P
Huge   P
Inconvenient  N
Modern  P
Noisy   N
Private   N
Quiet   P
Safe   P
Shabby  N
Small   N
Spacious P

PERSPECTIVES Which would you prefer?
Apartments are too small for pets.
Apartments aren’t big enough for families.
Apartments don’t have as many romos as houses.
Apartments have just as many expenses as house.
Apartments don’t have enough parking spaces.

Houses cost too much money.
Houses aren’t as safe as apartments
Houses aren’t as convenient as apartments
Houses don’t have enough closet space.
Houses don’t have as much privancy as apartments.

GRAMMAR FOCUS

Evaluations and comparisons

Evaluation with adjetives:

Apartments aren’t big enough for families.
Apartment are too small for pets.

Comparisons with adjectives
Houses aren’t as convenient as apartments.
Houses are just as convenient as apartments.

Evaluations with nouns
Apartments don’t have enough parking spaces.
Houses cost too much money.

Comparisons with nous
Apartments have just as many rooms as houses.
Apartments don’t have as much privancy as house.

PRONUNCIATION  


WRITING a descriptive e-mail
A.  Write an e-mail to a friend comparing your old apartment to your new one.

Dear Emma,

How are things with you? My big new is that Mike and I just moved to a new apartment! Do you remember our old apartment? It didn’t have enough bedrooms for us. Well, the new apartment has three bedrooms. Also, the old apartment was too cramped, but the new is bigger. Well see you later.

CONVERSATION Making changes
Brian: So, are you still living with your parents, Terry?
Terry: I’m afraid so. I wish I had my own apartment.
Brian: Why? Don’t you like living at home?
Terry: It’s OK, but my parents are always asking me to be home before mignight. I wish they’d stop worrying about me.
Brian: Yeah, parents are like that!
Terry: And they expect me to help around the house, I hate housework. I wish life weren’t so difficult.
Brian: So, why don’t you move out?
Terry: Hey, i wish i could, but where else can i get free room and board?

GRAMMAR FOCUS
Wish
Use wish + past tense to refers to present wishes.
I live with my parents.
    I wish I didn’t live with my parents.
   I wish I had my own apartments.

I can’t move out.
I wish I could move out.

Life is difficult.
I wish it were easier.
I wish it weren’t so difficult.

My parents won’t stop worrying about me.

I wish they would stop worrying about me.


Imagen relacionada

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

UNIT 4 I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THAT!

CONVERSATION Steve: Hey, this sounds strange –snails with garlie. Have you ever eaten snails? Kathy: Yes, I have. I had them here just last week. Steve: Did you like them? Kathy: Yes, I did. They were delicious! Why don’t you try some? Steve: No, I don’t think so. Waiter: Have you decided on an appetizer yet? Kathy: Yes, I’ll have a snail order of the snails. Please. Waiter: And you, sir? Steve: I think I’ll have the fried brains. Kathy: Fried brains? I’ve never heard of that! It sounds scary.

UNIT 4 I'VE NEVER HEARD OF THAT!

INTERNATIONAL FOOD CANNELLONI Cannelloni is wide rectangular pasta that is often used in Italian cuisine to make dishes with minced meat, vegetables, cottage cheese and spinach or even fish inside. PAELLA Is a recipe based on rice, originating in the Valencian Community and today very popular throughout Spain and also in other countries; in this recipe the rice is cooked together with other foods in a pan, generally wide and with handles. SUSHI Is a dish of Japanese origin based on rice that is generally accompanied with: sesame, salmon or trout, depending on the tastes it can be raw or cooked marinated with rice vinegar, sugar, salt and other ingredients, such as vegetables, fish or seafood. BIRYANI Are a dish of Pakistani cuisine rice and the cuisine of India and Turkey made with a mixture of spices as well as basmati rice, meat / vegetables and yogurt. GRAMMAR ...